Dr. Razia Zia
My main research interests are in the areas of Machine Learning, Computer Vision, Signal Processing, Digital Signal Processing, Digital Image Processing, and FPGAs. The special focus is on Pattern Recognition and Classification Problems using Machine Learning and Computer Vision Techniques. Also interested in Probabilistic and Transform based representations and reasoning in decision-making and classification problems.
Over 20 years of teaching & research experience at Pakistan’s reputable Engineering University; Sir Syed University of Engineering & Technology (SSUET), Karachi, Pakistan.
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR 2009 to Till Date
LECTURER Jan 2002 to 2009
▪ Stochastic Processes (Post Graduate Program)
▪ Digital Image Processing and its Applications (Post Graduate Program)
▪ Sensors and Systems (Post Graduate Program)
▪ Signal Processing
▪ Signals and Systems
▪ Digital Signal Processing
▪ Electrical Network Analysis
▪ Linear Circuit Analysis
▪ Basic Electrical Engineering
▪ Linear Integrated Circuits and their Applications
▪ Advance Communication Systems
▪ Basic Electronics
▪ Electronic Devices and Circuits
▪ Flying Sphere Drone
▪ Unmanned Sea Surface Vehicle-II
▪ IC sorting system using Image Processing
▪ Brain Control Car
▪ Motion Control Using Image Processing.
▪ RFID-based Electronic Toll Collection System
▪ Object Sorting and Image Processing Mechanism
▪ Automatic Mail Sorting System using Image Processing
▪ Traffic Density Analyzer Using Image Processing
▪ Navigation system For Vehicle Localization (Traction) Using GPS and INS
Ph.D. (Electrical Engineering) with specialization in Digital Image Processing, Department of Electrical Engineering, National University of Sciences & Technology (NUST), Karachi, Pakistan.
Thesis title: “Multi-resolution Based Feature Extraction Techniques for Differentiating the Glioma Grades using MRI Images”
Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Pervez Akhtar
• Pattern Recognition
• Image Segmentation and Classification
• Signal Processing
• Machine learning
M.S. (Electronic Engineering) with specialization in Communication Engg., Department of Electronic Engineering, Sir Syed University of Engineering & Technology (SSUET), Karachi, Pakistan.
Thesis title: “Image Compression Using Wavelet Transform”
Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Pervez Akhtar
B.E. (Electrical Engineering),
University of Engineering & Technology (UET), Taxila, Pakistan.
Overall %age: 83.94(with Honours)
Total 11 research publications, out of which 8 are journal publications, 1 is a book chapter and 2 are conference publications.
I) ISI INDEXED JOURNALS:
1. Razia Zia, Pervez Akhtar, Arshad Aziz,” Multi-resolution Transform based hybrid feature extraction technique for differentiating Glioma grades”: International Journal of Wavelets, Multiresolution and Information Processing (June 2018) (Impact Factor: 1.408).
2. Razia Zia, Pervez Akhtar, Arshad Aziz,“ A Rectangular Window Based Cropping method for Generalization of Brain Tumor Classification Systems”. In International Journal of Imaging Systems and Technology. (pp. 1-10). (Dec 2017) (Impact Factor: 2).
II) NON-ISI INDEXED JOURNALS:
1. Sadaf Raza, Maria Fatima, Razia Zia, Ali Akbar Siddique, “Manual Control of Robotic Arm for Long Distance Applications”, In ILMA Journal of Technology & Software Management,
Vol 2, Issue 1, 2021. (HEC recognized ’Y’ category Journal).
2. Agha Yasir Ali, Razia Zia; “Advanced Modulation Scheme for Visible Light Communication”, Indian Journal of Science and Technology (IJST) May 2019. (HEC recognized ’Y’ category Journal).
3. Lubna Farhi, Razia Zia, Zain Anwar Ali. “Performance Analysis of Machine Learning Classifiers for Brain Tumor MR Images” Sir Syed University Research Journal of Engineering & Technology 8.1 (2018): 23-28. (HEC recognized ’Y’ category Journal).
4. Razia Zia, Pervez Akhtar, “Performance comparison of LRBAC with DRSLE level set for the segmentation of tumors in MRI Images” Mehran University Research Journal of Engineering & Technology, Volume 34, Issue S1, August 2015 (pp. 69-76), [ISSN 0254-7821] (HEC recognized ’X’ category Journal)
5. Irfan Usmani, Arshad Aziz, Muzzafer Ali Rao, Razia Zia. “Comparison Between FPGA Logic Resources And Embedded Resources Used By Discrete Arithmetic (DA) Architecture To
Design FIR Filter.” International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Technology, (2014):440-443.
6. Razia Zia, Muzzafer Rao, Arshad Aziz, Pervez Akhtar: “Efficient utilization of FPGA using LUT-6 Architecture. In Applied Mechanics and Materials 2013 (Vol. 241, pp. 2548-2554).
Trans Tech Publications.
1. Razia Zia, Pervez Akhtar, Arshad Aziz, “Non-Sub-sampled Contourlet Transform based Feature Extraction Technique for Differentiating Glioma Grades using MRI Images“ In 30th
Australasian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (pp. 289-300). August 2017, Springer Book Chapter, Cham.
1. Rakhshan Zulfiqar, Bushra Mehdi, Rumaisa Iftikhar, Tahmina Khan, Razia Zia, Najam Saud “PLC Based Automated Object Sorting System”: In 4th International Electrical
Engineering Conference which will be held on 25th-26th January 2019, at IEP Karachi, Pakistan.
2. Adnan Afroz, Razia Zia, Andres Ortis Garcia, Muhammad Umar Khan, Umair Jilani, and Khawaja Masood Ahmed Ahmed, “Skin lesion classification using machine learning
approach: A survey”, In Global Conference on Wireless & Optical Technologies 2021