Mission and Vision of the Department of Mathematics
The department of Mathematics is one of the pioneer departments that started functioning when the University was established in 1994.
The department is successfully running an MS program in Mathematics. Now the department has introduced BS program with three specializations viz. Pure and Applied Mathematics, Computational and Financial Mathematics, Statistical and Data Sciences. Launching of a Ph. D program is in process.
The department aims at the motto Mathematics for Development. Thus the department is collaborating with other departments to provide sound mathematical knowledge to Engineering disciplines and other disciplines at undergraduate level.
The specialization in Pure and Applied Mathematics gives a full understanding of the topics in Pure and Applied Mathematics preparing the students for teaching, research and applying mathematics to all sciences. The specialization in Computational and Financial Mathematics emphasizes on Computation and Finance with foundational training in statistical and mathematical aspects. The specialization in Statistical and Data Sciences is also a dual purpose program which provides all fundamental training in statistical knowledge and its practice whereas, it introduces Data Sciences which is comparatively a newly growing field which is applicable to various areas of science and social sciences. It interacts with the survey, analysis and proper management of human resources and finances. It is also expected that in future this specialization can be established as an individual curriculum.
The Ph. D. program is a research programme training the students to get involved in independent research and to collaborate with R & D organizations involved in indigenous planning and development and to prepare good teachers at university level.
Aims and Objectives
The idea behind introducing BS program in Mathematics with specializations as mentioned above is a unification of the methods and techniques of Mathematics and other sciences particularly, the developmental sciences in a single curriculum.
- The first, in our priority are the computational and financial mathematics. The two areas have recently gained much importance in the study of engineering and sciences and their applications. Such a curriculum must have two main objectives the first to provide a deep background in mathematical and financial modeling with computing. It must also provide a firm basis for possible entry into a MPhil/MS and Ph. D. program in various areas. The program is suitable for students interested in a career in banking sector, insurance companies, brokerage houses, stock markets, and financial services companies.
- The second, in our priorities are the statistical and data sciences. These two emerging sciences are rightly assumed to be applicable to overall industrial evolution, urban planning and development and an appropriate utilization of human resources for development. A large part of the application of Data Science is associated to the field of finance. For instance, the model of asset pricing based on data are most applicable to the applied world rather than theoretical ones.
- Further, it is the duty of a Department of Mathematics to provide a curriculum that can train and enable the students to become experts in Mathematics itself. So, the third specialization i.e. in Pure and Applied Mathematics is introduced to prepare students with strong mathematical knowledge and skills. They could be engaged in teaching, research and to work at other places where mathematicians are needed to support. Also, they would be able to proceed for higher studies and research in Mathematics as a subject itself. It is expected that the specialization in Statistical and Data Sciences could be developed into an independent area of study and department.
- MS program stresses upon providing the students a sound knowledge of the subject. It also enables the students to take up independent study, thinking and planning. Teaching of computational skills is an essential part of all the courses run by the department.
- Ph.D. programme is a research program. The program specifically enables the students to produce research for development and production. To prepare them to perform high quality scholarly and academic tasks, teaching and enhancing the applicability of the subject.
Learning outcomes of all the programs can be depicted as follows.
- To provide a sound knowledge of Mathematics as a core subject together with teaching skills for applications of mathematics such as investment analysis, data analysis, forecasting and modeling that could be helpful to Physical, Biological, other natural and social sciences.
- Acquisition of hands-on experience with relevant software tools, programming languages, and data models.
- Ability to analyze riskiness in the management of projects and models and can proceed for better forecasting and modeling to support a true development.